Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Mercury" Lamps

So... these are the lamps I started with. I got them at Goodwill for 4.99 each.  I immediately knew I wanted to use the Mercury paint technique I have seen on Pinerest! And yes, those are beer bottle caps in the lamp on the right! Now I need to find a craft using LOTS of bottle caps! :)


I was a little nervous about taking the lamps apart and not being able to put them back together again! But they had to be taken apart in order to do this correctly. 
*Here's a tip...take pictures as you take your lamp apart. That way you will have something to look at as you put it back together! Believe me, this came in handy!!

1. First, I took the lamps apart and cleaned them glass with soap and water and let dry completely.
2. I sprayed the INSIDE of the glass part of the lamps with Krylon Looking Glass Spray Paint. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $8.40 each (they were on sale 30% off). I needed 2 cans.


I kept my hand outside and sprayed inside turning the lamp every so often. I sprayed with short spritz of the spray paint so it wouldn't drip. It did drip a couple of times but the other coats covered it up so no worries.  I put several coats, letting each coat dry before adding another coat. (this paint drys fast so you wont have to wait long)

3. After I got a good solid Mirror finish, I sprayed a combination of 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar in a light spritz inside the lamp. Let it set a minute or two. This will soften the paint and make it easier to take off.

4. Using a paper towel with the vinegar mixture sprayed on it, start rubbing some of the paint off. Depending on how thick your coat of paint is, this may take a little bit of an effort.


5. When I was satisfied with the look of my lamp, I sprayed a thin coat of the looking glass spray paint again. This made my glass not so see through. Then AGAIN, I rubbed some off in places until I was happy with the way it looked.
*You can do this process as many times as you would like until you are happy with the results.
6. Lastly, I sprayed all the metal pieces of my lamps with some Hammered Metal spray paint I just happened to have on hand. You can spray yours with whatever you would like.
7. Finally I put both of my lamps back together and now I love them!
NOT BAD FOR $26.78 FOR TWO LAMPS!


The shades I have on my lamps, I got at Hobby Lobby. They were $39.99 each but I got them 40% off. That made them $24.00 each. I knew the minute I saw them that they were it! So I splurged a little on the shades since I saved so much on the lamps!

No comments:

Post a Comment